Re: New publication: Notes on Early Mesozoic Theropods by Robert Gay

Although "self-publication" sets my teeth on edge, it appears that Rob Gay is
at least endeavoring to meet ICZN standards.

In these kind of situations, a community standard usually applies: it will
remain to be seen whether paleontologists take the new name on board, and treat
it as a valid genus.  George Olshevsky erected several new genera via
self-publication (e.g., _Becklespinax_, _Valdoraptor_), and despite some
reservations, these genera appear to have accreted into valid genera.

On the other hand, the valiant attempts by Stephan Pickering to erect several
new dinosaur genera in the 1990's were a failure.  In a alarge part this was
because Pickering made no attempt to establish a public and permanent
scientific record.  Pickering cited the peculiar rationale that if his 'work'
was placed in a 'public repository' it would allow it to be plagiarized.
Setting aside the irony of anybody actually *wanting* to plagiarize Pickering's
work (if you've read his work, you'll know what I mean), this precludes any of
Pickering's 'genera' from meeting the requirements of the ICZN.  Hence, when
Benson erected a new genus (_Duriavenator_) for _Megalosaurus hesperis_ in
2008, there was no question of Pickering's proposed name ("Walkersaurus")
having priority.  "Walkersaurus", like all of Pickering's names, is a nomen
nudum (e.g., see http://www.polychora.com/dinolist.html), and all have been
studiously ignored by paleontologists.

However, returning to Kayentavenator, if somebody attaches a different name to
the same type specimen, and Rob Gay asserts his name to be valid, then it will
be an issue for the ICZN to decide.  Until then, it will be up to
paleontologists to decide for themselves whether or not to acknowledge
Kayentavenator as a valid genus.  As Dan puts it: "If Lulu Press is a valid
outlet for nomenclatorial acts, then our lives have become immensely simpler."
I agree with Dan that it's perplexing that the description was not simply
re-submitted to a scientific journal, which would make Kayentavena
al perspective.  This "self-publication" route is a can of worms.  In a perfect
world, the ICZN would shut down this loop-hole entirely.

Cheers

Tim