Re: New publication: Notes on Early Mesozoic Theropods by Robert Gay

To me, peer review means that it has gone through a process where the peer reviewers could prevent the publication of the manuscript. This could be for various reasons, ranging from not scientifically rigorous to the paper is too technical for the more general audience we target with our journal. Peer reviewers for a journal are for that journal, not universal. So reviewers for Nature may reject a paper that JVP reviewers might find quite exciting and important. A peer reviewed publication means the manuscript went through the peer review process for the journal in which it was published, not reviewed for one journal and published in a venue where there is no peer review.
Dan

Rob Gay wrote:
It was my oversight that I did not list the repositories as "5 major publicly accessible libraries" but the institutions named in both the _Kayentavenator_ paper and the _Coelophysis_ paper have been sent copies of the volume - UCMP, MNA, NMMNH, Ruth Hall Museum of Paleontology at Ghost Ranch, and AMNH. ICZN 8.6 does not state that the institutions have to be explicitly stated as major repositories. It just says that the works have to be deposited in major libraries, and that the institutions are identified by name. I probably could have worded that better in the introduction and explicitly stated "these are the permanent repositories that have copies deposited at their locations: X, Y, and Z." I didn't - but I did state that the works were on record at the "relevant institutions" and in the papers I name the relevant institutions by their full names. Furthermore, it appears to me that 8.6 only applies if this was solely a digital document. Notes of Mesozoic Theropods is a physical paper document. You can download copies, but the method of printing employs printing on paper. And anyway, like I said, the works have been deposited anyway. Glancing at the closest post-1999 paper to me, the Colbert and Olsen _Hypuronector_ paper from 2001, I note that nowhere in their publication does it list 5 institutions, and does not mention that a copy of their paper has been deposited anywhere. I think that this is attracting attention because these papers weren't published in the popular journals. That doesn't meant that they weren't peer-reviewed. The _Coelophysis_ paper was accepted for publication in a volume, but the editor lost the figures right before publication. The _Kayentavenator_ paper was submitted to JVP and returned with revisions. Both events (loss of figures and returning of revisions) occurred when I had a sudden change in my job situation and basically had no access to a computer for three years. I felt it would not be reasonable to expect, after three years, an addendum to come out with my _Coelophysis_ paper, and returning revisions to reviewers after three years of hearing nothing from me struck me as rude. The _Coelophysis_ paper, having already been accepted, was published here in its as-accepted form. I took the reviewers' comments for the _Kayentavenator_ paper and incorporated them into the final version. Due to the unusual set of circumstances that had developed during that time in my life, I felt that this was the best way to proceed with these two papers. Is this something that I plan on doing in the future? No. Not at all. That's because I'm not going to have a couple peer-reviewed but unpublished papers sitting around in my files. But is ICZN 8.1.1 met? Yes. The whole idea is to provide a public, permanent record. Is ICZN 8.1.2 met? Yes. Anyone can get a copy. If people want PDFs of the individual papers and don't want the whole volume, they can e-mail me even. But even if I was dead, people could still get copies of the papers. Is ICZN 8.1.3 met? Yes. Numerous durable and identical copies have already been produced and sent to the relevant institutions, and more can be had by anyone - copies can be produced forever, for all practical purposes. That strikes me as numerous, and the paper copies are certainly durable. Downloads can be durable too, if the storage media is properly cared for. Is ICZN 8.6 met? Doesn't matter, since it is a paper printing, but even if you think that a physical book is not a paper copy, as I mentioned above, 8.6 is still met.

Dan is rightly concerned about people making an end run around peer review (while I was writing the above) and seems to imply that my papers were trash and rejected, but I went ahead and published them anyway in order to pull a fast one on everyone. Once again, I suggest going over what I just wrote. The _Kayentavenator_ paper was sent back to me with revisions. I included those revisions in the final published paper. Just like every other thing that I have published, both papers were peer reviewed. Although I have been quite on the list for some time (in fact, I was unsubscribed for a while, due to the lack of computer access I mention above), I'd like to remind people that this isn't the first thing I've written - I know how peer review works, I know how the publication process works. This just happens to be the only time anything was (or will ever be) not published by an outside publisher.

Dan also wrote:
>I'm not sure why this is would not be considered an electronic publication. You can order it as a pdf or print copy in any one of several page sizes (8x10, 6x9). Self publishing pay for print on demand seems to me to be an electronic activity.< Well, all publication activity is really electronic these days. When is the last time you typed something on a typewriter to submit it, got the reviews back, had to retype the whole thing on your typewriter, and the final volume was printed with movable-block print and not an electronic printer? Saying that you can order it online makes it an electronic activity would make anything available on Amazon primarily an electronic activity. The primary mode of publication is a physical book on paper. I dunno, maybe getting rid of the download option would make that more obvious?

Tim Williams mentions (while I was typing all of the above - I guess this is all pretty interesting for people!) that self-publishing is a can of worms. He wrote: >However, returning to Kayentavenator, if somebody attaches a different name to the same type specimen, and Rob Gay asserts his name to be valid, then it will be an issue for the ICZN to decide. Until then, it will be up to paleontologists to decide for themselves whether or not to acknowledge Kayentavenator as a valid genus.< How would it not be valid, since all the ICZN rules have been met? Now if my work was junk and it turned out the material was nondiagnostic (which I obviously disagree with), then maybe, but the ICZN rules have been met, and as long as someone doesn't make it a junior synonym of something else I don't see how it could be considered anything other than valid. The ICZN rules might be imperfect, but they are what they are and the rules have been met.

I'll say this again, clearly, with no ambiguity. My intention was not to end-run science. The papers were peer reviewed. The ICZN rules were met. I felt this was the best way, with today's changing technology, to get this research out there quickly to help create a publicly accessible record and expand the body of knowledge of early North American theropods. If you think my conclusions suck, that's fine, we can debate that - since the data is now out there, you (the collective You) can look at my data, my analysis, and my conclusions and draw your own. Why was my introduction so brief (and some said ambiguous?) in the volume? Because I didn't want to have 5 pages of introduction to a short volume. I could have typed up everything I just did here and put that in front of the papers, but I had assumed that one page would answer questions and set people at ease. Obviously I missed that guess.

Anyone want to talk about the papers themselves? Or since it was published by Lulu they shouldn't be looked at except as kindling?
Rob

mhanson54@comcast.net wrote:
According to the ICZN:
8.1. Criteria to be met. A work must satisfy the following criteria:
8.1.1. it must be issued for the purpose of providing a public and permanent scientific record, 8.1.2. it must be obtainable, when first issued, free of charge or by purchase, and 8.1.3. it must have been produced in an edition containing simultaneously obtainable copies by a method that assures numerous identical and durable copies. 8.6. Works produced after 1999 by a method that does not employ printing on paper. For a work produced after 1999 by a method other than printing on paper to be accepted as published within the meaning of the Code, it must contain a statement that copies (in the form in which it is published) have been deposited in at least 5 major publicly accessible libraries which are identified by name in the work itself.

From Gay, R. 2010.
"Those that are concerned about the naming of a new genus in this format should not be. The availability and distribution requirements are more than met—the relevant institutions have received a copy for their records. In addition "Notes on Early Mesozoic Theropods" will remain available to all who wish to purchase it online, as well as those stores that chose to carry it, for the foreseeable future—far surpassing the availability of many other high profile publications to those anywhere on the globe."

According to this 8.1.1, 8.1.2, and 8.1.3 are all fulfilled. The only criterion not fulfilled is 8.6, and its due to a very minor technicality; nowhere in this work are the "5 major publicly accessible libraries" where the hard copies are deposited named. I don't think that on-demand self publishing necessarily violates 8.1.3, on some contitions it might be, but a publication service such as Lulu ensures that multiple individuals can order and obtain "numerous identical and durable copies" at the same time.