Re: New publication: Notes on Early Mesozoic Theropods by Robert Gay

Dan Chure <danchure@easilink.com> wrote:

> Frankly, my general concern about Lulu and other such self
> publishing venues is that any restraints on nomenclature
> will disappear and taxa will be created willy nilly.

Yes, this is a HUGE concern.  Especially because advances in technology mean
that self-publication is now much cheaper than it used to be.  All you need is
a computer and a printer, and off you go.

> Anyone,
> regardless of knowledge and abilities, will be able to
> create valid taxa without any restraints.

Indeed.  When it comes to what constitutes a published work, Article 8 of the
ICZN Code is so vague and permissive that it is laughably easy to meet the
criteria.

> I believe most
> people see that as a serious problem. I agree with Tom
> Williams that  the self-publication can of worms that
> should be shut down by  ICZN.

There are some who call me... 'Tim'.  ;-)

The ICZN has a vested interest in heading this off at the pass, because a
proliferation of self-published genera and species is undoubtedly going to lead
to nomenclatural disputes.  Such disputes regarding priority can only be
resolved by the ICZN.

Also it is manifestly unfair that a self-published work should trump a
peer-reviewed paper in a scientific journal.  For example, if two people want
to erect a new genus for the same species (like _"Dilophosaurus" sinensis_),
and Person A chooses to self-publish whereas Person B submits the description
to a scientific journal, then Person A will likely get his/her genus published
first.  Peer review takes time (usually far too much time...), whereas
self-publication is entirely at the convenience of the author.  Person A should
not be penalized because he/she chose a more scientifically rigorous route for
publication.

Cheers

Tim