To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 8:22 AM
Subject: Turtles are parareptiles, and Eunotosaurus is their sister

http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2010/06/03/rsbl.2010.03
71.full

Lyson, T.R., G.S. Bever, B.S. Bhullar, W.G. Joyce & J.A. Gauthier. In press.
Transitional fossils and the origin of turtles. Biol. Lett.   published
online before print June 9, 2010, doi:10.1098/rsbl.2010.0371

Abstract

The origin of turtles is one of the most contentious issues in systematics
with three currently viable hypotheses: turtles as the extant sister to (i)
the crocodile-bird clade, (ii) the lizard-tuatara clade, or (iii) Diapsida
(a clade composed of (i) and (ii)). We reanalysed a recent dataset that
allied turtles with the lizard-tuatara clade and found that the inclusion of the stem turtle Proganochelys quenstedti and the 'parareptile' Eunotosaurus africanus results in a single overriding morphological signal, with turtles
outside Diapsida. This result reflects the importance of transitional
fossils when long branches separate crown clades, and highlights unexplored
issues such as the role of topological congruence when using fossils to
calibrate molecular clocks.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216