To: <villandra@austin.rr.com>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 9:08 AM
Subject: RE: Turtles are parareptiles, and Eunotosaurus is their sister

From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
On Behalf Of Dora Smith

Turtles aren't reptiles, now.   The rest of it got lost in
the technical
language.

Sorry, but really it isn't that technical...

I'm afraid that was Eunotosaurus is doesn't tell
me much right
off the bat.   It doesn't sound like the term for "basal reptile".

Eunotosaurus, a Middle Permian South African reptile:
http://www.all-about-reptiles.com/images/eunotosaurus.gif

Pretty soon, there will be no reptiles left that are reptiles.

Using the taxonomy in this paper Reptilia includes two major branches,
parareptiles and eureptiles. Parareptiles ("anapsids" of some useage) are a
group of mostly Permian and Triassic forms. Eureptiles are diapsids and
their closest relatives.

So turtles are still reptiles, but they are not closer to the
tuatara-lizard-snake lineage than to the alligator-bird lineage (both
alternatives had been proposed in recent years.)

What's a crocodile; a paratherapod?

An archosaur.

What about a snake?

A lepidosaur.