Re: Turtles are parareptiles, and Eunotosaurus is their sister

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. a écrit :

From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] On Behalf Of Mike Taylor

Using the taxonomy in this paper Reptilia includes two
major branches,
parareptiles and eureptiles.
That is some truly horrible taxonomy. So Reptilia contains Parareptilia (i.e. that which is "alongside Reptilia"). I guess they must have Pseudosuchia envy.

:-)

Take it up with E.C. Olson, though. These terms have been around since the
1940s.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Horrible name, yes, but widely used since the 40's indeed.

Do we really have to abandon taxon name unfaithful to their original definition/meaning ? That would be a
serious problem. I know a few "diapsid" Synapsida, and many more... huh, let's say:
non-"diapsid" Diapsida (in which the evolution of temporal fenestrae is quite complex). But I'm
pretty sure nobody will discard them just because of that - well, not without a good argumentation. And I'm
not even talking about the so-called "dinosaurs"! :-)

Btw, here is Olson's original quote (Olson, 1947:5): "The Seymouriamorpha,
Diadectomorpha, Pareiasauria, and Procolophonia are grouped under the order Diadecta.
This order and the order Chelonia are placed in the subclass Parareptilia. The
captorhinomorphs are placed in the infraclass Captorhina, which is grouped with the
infraclasses Synapsida, Parapsida, Euryapsida and Diapsida in the subclass
Eureptilia."

That was at a time when reptiles were still suspected of being diphyletic. According to Westoll
(1942), for instance, two distinct lineages would have emerged independantly from
"amphibians". Olson (1947) preferred a monophyletic Reptilia, but recognized
"amphibian-like" seymouriamorphs as members of his Parareptilia.

Another funny quote: I just found a dictionnary written in 1793 by Jean-François
Lavoisien, a French army surgeon: Portable Dictionnary of Medecine, Anatomy, Pharmacy,
Chemistry, Natural History, Botany, and Physics [...]. Here is the definition of
REPTILE: kind of animals and insects which crawls on their belly. Snakes, caterpillars,
earthworms, &c. rank among reptiles [translated by humble person].