Re: Pickering's nomina nuda (was RE: Rob Gay's print-on-demand publication of Kayentavenator elysiae

Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> > Nevertheless, it is a frightening thought that if Pickering had
> > bothered to deposit his 'works', and made them accessible,
> > that we might have been stuck with all his horrible monikers
> > ("Elaphrosaurus philtippetensis", and so on).
>

> Wouldn't that name have implied that Phil Tippet gave birth
> to an elaphrosaur? :-)

:-)

Yes.  You see what trouble these self-published names can cause?  Poor Phil...

He also named "Altispinax lydekkeri-huenensis" (Pickering, 1984).  I don't even
want to imagine what particular set of circumstances gave rise to *that* name...