Re: Pickering's nomina nuda (was RE: Rob Gay's print-on-demand publication of Kayentavenator elysiae

Quoting Tim Williams <tijawi@yahoo.com>:

Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> Nevertheless, it is a frightening thought that if Pickering had
> bothered to deposit his 'works', and made them accessible,
> that we might have been stuck with all his horrible monikers
> ("Elaphrosaurus philtippetensis", and so on).

Wouldn't that name have implied that Phil Tippet gave birth
to an elaphrosaur? :-)

:-)

Yes. You see what trouble these self-published names can cause? Poor Phil...

He also named "Altispinax lydekkeri-huenensis" (Pickering, 1984). I don't even want to imagine what particular set of circumstances gave rise to *that* name...

Well, maybe if Lydekker owns it, but originally found it on Huene's person...

Also, of course, if the name were to be accepted, it would have to be respelled without the hyphen as "A. lydekkerihuenensis". Makes my eyes cross just looking at it.

Nicholas J. Pharris

"An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't."

--Anatole France