RE: New publication: Notes on Early Mesozoic Theropods by Robert Gay

  Eventually, we will have to regard the media on which we "publish" to be
variable. Currently, this is print on paper or paper-like material. We can
potentially accept plastics-based physical medium with ink, and paper, and
other plant-fibers like cotton, as the physical medium. These are, however,
based on finite materials. Eventually they may run out. It may be necessary to
reduce the production of some of these as their use renders environmental
resources in danger: Printing 800 pages for a volume of _JVP_ [based on
pre-2010 issue numbers] requires about 4 lbs of paper, around 65% is actually
comprised of wood product (the rest being the coating). This is almost a ream
and a tree of about 40ft and ~7inch diameter will make roughly ten volumes at
this rate. And that's just for _JVP_ (I'm using this,
http://www.conservatree.com/learn/EnviroIssues/TreeStats.shtml, to get a rough
estimate). Time, related to consumption, related to resource partitioning when
humans want to grow outward or farm in areas where these trees grow creates an
increasing disparity in the potential availability.

  We then look towards the inevitable effect when various OTHER forms of media,
physical in this case, are used, and their complex. Plastics are derived from
processing petroleum, and unlike trees, they are not renewable. In this
scenario, I am utilizing both the current method and a potential replacement
method for producing print. An alternative is breeding giant albino shouting
gorillas we train to scream our papers at one another, but that's only the
thing mad scientists do. I mentioned other plant fibers, such as cotton, as a
resource, and this is also viable and recyclable, although I am unfamiliar with
the process or the values required to produce work, and how much can be
separated from our clothing producers to replace paper.

  Both methods (and potentially the albino shouting gorillas) are finite. They
will run out, eventually. We are thus destined for a point when what we read is
in a form that is not physical, like this email. We are used to it already, and
the world is already wired, although there are large gaps. This medium for
writing and reading is already in place, and it has occurred before the advent
of a plastics-based physical form, or of cotton. Or shouting gorillas. Along
with this medium, resources for viewing text in a mobile form exist in
text-readers, cellphones, the iPhone, the kindle and iPad, etc. And these are
CURRENT. Virtually all production companies produce a digital form of their
work before it goes to a printer, and these are saved virtually and
perpetually. Producing a formatting or utilizing the uneditable PDF format is a
quick and easy way of creating and moving unchangeable blocks of texts/figures.
Apart from this, it costs little but the viewing system to view figures in
almost any quality, and comes with the added compatibility that it costs
nothing to render in final form and only an initial investment to originally
capture to develop photographs (including microscopic images).

  Without any actual blocks, and most of the enablers involved, the digital
form already seems on the horizon. The next issue, the one Dan explicitly calls
me on, is the anarchic one: Letting any Jefferson, Nixon or Truman to put his
keyboard to interface and "publishing" tripe. The system is in place to handle
that, as well, it merely only require a review system in which accredited
reviewers give their time to serve as jury to every piece of text a person can
render. And note I am not actually advocating personal publishing, although
this is already done (with much blogging and gnashing of teeth and O, the
wailies!). I am advocating that many journals can simply shift to a digital
only medium, remove their print to on-demand service, operating as _Zootaxa_
and _PLoS_ do now; contracting editors and maintaining a staff to oversee
actual printing, editors, and the reviewer database. In this, the biggest issue
is that of allowing authors to be publishers, but using the system the digital
publishers use. This can be done simply by registration of authors, no bars;
such a system puts these people in touch with editors, and they can submit
reviews on their own (self-solicited) which are then used to help the editor
find editor-solicited reviewers, and compare the changes made, the thumbs-up or
down gestures from each (an alternate form that allows the reviews to be
viewable may be complicated; but an editor can dismiss an over-vicious or
sycophantic review on its face as lacking critical review entirely).
Publication occurs when a particular review "score" is achieved, based on the
level or type of publication (any analytical data requires a high review count
and score, a description a moderate one, and a systemic review or
opinion/editorial a low one) produced.

  We are all used to immediate reception of digital data, and reviewing that
data in critical, public manner. There is no reason publication cannot do this
and cut out the physical middle man in the form of the printing companies. It
also reduces the costs companies must pay to retain such services in the volume
required. Printing media is in fact the least of the issues here, although in
some cases the idea of a print form with defects can occur, it can be corrected
by the simple means of resubmission of a print copy by mailing the old one back
and receiving a new one at no cost; or, it can go through an individual quality
check to ensure fidelity. But like I said, this is the least of the issues. It
is the system the author can use that renders the problem of using digital only
media created by the impermanence of the physical media moot, and this is one
of the issues we've discussed when it has come to self-publishers like
Olshevsky, Pickering, or Gay.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)