RE: Pickering's nomina nuda (was RE: Rob Gay's print-on-demand publication of Kayentavenator elysiae

Mickey Mortimer wrote:

<But I ask again, where were the complaints about Madsen and Welles
(2000) just being Welles work that Madsen published posthumously?>

This is somewhat misinformed, Mickey:

  Madsen and Welles wrote most of their paper together, prepared from an
unfinished manuscript Welles had initially prepared. Welles passed way during
this process, leaving Madsen to finish it. Madsen did not receive the same
manuscript in the same manner as Pickering, and then just add his own flare to
it. There is a substantive amount of writing in Madsen and Welles that shows
development (and knowledge) of the work that came after Welles' original
manuscript, based on Pickering's assertions that he edited and annotated what
was Welles' work, then cut it into his pieces as "previews" and the actual work
shown therein. This indicates that there are substantial differences in the
effort Madsen took versus Pickering, as their situations (including handling of
Welles' work) are entirely different.

  So, to make this clearer:

  Madsen -- wrote a paper WITH Welles, which just happened to build on Welles'
hypothesis that the CLQ ceratosaurs were a different species from the Bone
Cabin skeleton, previously produced as unpublished work (in partim) by Welles.
It shows that Welles was in fact working on publishing his work (not by proxy),
before his death.
  Pickering -- chose to edit pieces of the manuscript dealing with the taxonomy
as they were in the 'script in between discussions of King King, Jurassic Park,
and so on.

  That Pickering presented his material to parties he was agreeable to, but
without deposition in readily accessible public facilities, it is virtually
impossible to attain a copy of this without 1) asking someone else who has it
or 2) asking Pickering [impossible if he hates you]. This is not how publicly
available (and ICZN-mandated) works should be handled; this (and this alone) is
what disqualifies Pickering's self-publication as ICZN-incompatible.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)
http://qilong.wordpress.com/