Re: Nomina nuda and crap species

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:52:53 -0600
> Von: Dan Chure <danchure@easilink.com>
> An: Rob Taylor <rjtaylor68@comcast.net>
> CC: dinosaur@usc.edu, gkw@amnet.net.au
> Betreff: Re: Nomina nuda and crap species

> If names can be created
> willy-nilly without restraint, the result is chaos and effective
> communication about identification, diversity, and phylogeny will be
> very, very difficult.

Worse -- the ICZN makes it possible to validly publish nomenclatural acts
_unintentionally_. This goes so far that there's an Article which allows
authors of a publication to explicitly disclaim validity for nomenclatural acts
in that publication, so that unintentional publication can be avoided:

"8.2. Publication may be disclaimed. A work that contains a statement to the
effect that it is not issued for public and permanent scientific record, or for
purposes of zoological nomenclature, is not published within the meaning of the
Code."
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted-sites/iczn/code/index.jsp?article=8

Unintentional publication of nomenclatural acts has happened several times,
AFAIK.

Incidentally, while I am at it, the PhyloCode contains the same rule, but
doesn't need it, because unintentional _registration_ of a nomenclatural act is
just about impossible.