Re: Publication Validity and Quality

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Dan Chure <danchure@easilink.com> wrote:

> As Ralph wrote, we need something that defines a publication for the
> purposes of making the taxonomic and nomenclatorial actions within it valid.
> ÂISBN numbers are just for a publication, regardless of content. We need
> something Âfor this specific scientific issue. ÂGay's work has an ISBN
> number, but that doesn't make it valid for the nomenclatorial actions in it.

To be clear, I'm not saying that having such a number need be the only
criterion. It could be necessary, but not sufficient. (For example,
the publication in question may not satisfy Art. 8.6.)

In general, I do think the best solution would involve "farming out"
the issue to another authority, at least partially, whether it's the
ISO or something else. (Although I can't think of anything better than
the ISO at the moment.)
--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California