Re: Hot-blooded marine reptiles

Endothermy merely means that the majority of body heat is generated
internally and does not necessarily imply a high metabolic rate is an animal
can
use size and insulation to retain heat despite a reptilian resting metabolism,
or is exercising hard and long enough (such as larger sustained flight
insects).  Endothermy achieved via a normally elevated resting MR is
tachymetabolism. Some tuna do have elevated resting metabolisms like birds and
mammals.

GSPaul

> Who needs endothermy when you've got your own built-in central
> heating?
>
> Endothermy IS your own built-in central heating.

Endothermy is more like setting fire to you wallpaper to keep warm than a
'central heating
system'. The system in tunas and sharks is elegant and reuses what would
otherwise be wasted
heat. Our outrageously leaky cells are more of a sledgehammer approach to
homeothermy<</HTML>