Re: Publication Validity (was: Re: Cretaceous Wars - The Revenge of the Rat...uh...I mean Mammal)

I think the usage comes from how the journals handle the matter.

Paleontology lists the paper as "Early View (Articles online in advance of
print)".

The Elsevier journals on Science Direct call them "Articles in Press" and
explain "Articles in Press are accepted, peer reviewed articles that are not
yet assigned to an issue, but are citable using DOI." At least some of the
journals on Science Direct (e.g., Paleo3) will post accepted manuscripts and
corrected proofs of the paper before publication.

It's not an ICZN stranglehold; it's the journal publishers still thinking that
print is the definitive edition. In the case of accepted manuscripts, that may
be true, because the editors may question some wording or the authors may
correct mistakes they catch.

What this practice implies for nomenclature is a separate issue, which I will
defer to people who understand such things better than I do.

--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com or jhecht@nasw.org