New Ceratopsians in IUP's Ceratopsian volume

Howdy,

My copy of the Ryan, Chinnery-Allgeier & Eberth (2010) New Perspectives on
Horned Dinosaurs: the Royal Tyrrell Museum Ceratopsian Symposium finally
arrived.

Amazing amounts of new studies of various sorts.

Since several new taxa from this volume have already been discussed, but
others less so, a quick run down on new critters in this book:

----

Archaeoceratops yujingziensis You, Tanoue et Dodson 2010 sp. nov.
A New Species of Archaeoceratops (Dinosauria: Neoceratopsia) from the
Early Cretaceous of the Mazongshan Area, Northwestern China \ Hai-Lu You,
Kyo Tanoue, and Peter Dodson

Discovered in the lab while prepping out a block containing an iguandontian.

"Yujingzi" = name of the basin in which it was found.

Partial skull, some verts, partial scaupla, both femora, two metatarsals,
and a few pedal phalanges.

----

Coahuilaceratops magnacuerna Loewen, Sampson, Lund, Farke,
Aguillon-Martinez, de Leon, Rodriguez-De La Rosa, Getty et Eberth 2010
gen. et sp. nov.
Horned Dinosaurs (Ornithischia: Ceratopsidae) from the Upper Cretaceous
(Campanian) Cerro del Pueblo Formation, Coahuila, Mexico \ Mark A. Loewen,
Scott D. Sampson, Eric K. Lund, Andrew A. Farke, Martha C.
Aguillón-Martínez, Claudio A. de Leon, Rubén A. Rodríguez-de la Rosa,
Michael A. Getty, and David A. Eberth

"Coahuila" = state in northeastern Mexico. "magnacuerna" = "big horn".
Partial skull and unprepared postcranial material of an adult, skull bones
and unprepared postcranial material for a juvenile.

>From the Cerro del Pueblo Fm., late Campanian.

Chasmosaurine, tremendous supraorbital horns, comes out in their analysis
as unresolved trichotomy with Anchiceratops and Arrhinoceratops.

---------

Diabloceratops eatoni Kirkland et DeBlieux 2010 gen. et sp. nov
New Basal Centrosaurine Ceratopsian Skulls from the Wahweap Formation
(Middle Campanian), Grand Staircase?Escalante National Monument, Southern
Utah \ James I. Kirkland and Donald D. DeBlieux

After Jefferey G. Eaton, paleontologist at Weber State University in
Ogden, UT

Almost complete left side of the skull, weathered in sagittal section.

Oldest and most basal known centrosaurine.

----------

Unnamed Pachyrhinosaurus-like form
A New Pachyrhinosaurus-Like Ceratopsid from the Upper Dinosaur Park
Formation (Late Campanian) of Southern Alberta, Canada \ Michael J. Ryan,
David A. Eberth, Donald B. Brinkman, Philip J. Currie, and Darren H. Tanke

>From the top of the Dinosaur Park Formation, and consequently the oldest
of the Achelousaurus-Pachyrhinosaurus clade.

Skull missing rear of frill; disarticulated skeleton to be described later.

-----------

Rubeosaurus McDonald et Horner 2010
Rubeosaurus ovatus (Gilmore 1930)
New Material of "Styracosaurus" ovatus from the Two Medicine Formation of
Montana \ Andrew T. McDonald and John R. Horner

New specimen (adult partial skull) to add to original.

"Rubeus" = thornbush or bramble.

Laterally-compressed, recurved (scimitar-like) nasal horn.

Found as the sister taxon to Einiosaurus.

----------

Ojoceratops fowleri Sullivan et Lucas 2010 gen. et sp. nov.
A New Chasmosaurine (Ceratopsidae, Dinosauria) from the Upper Cretaceous
Ojo Alamo Formation (Naashoibito Member), San Juan Basin, New Mexico \
Robert M. Sullivan and Spencer G. Lucas

Named after Denver Fowler.

Following their current work, on three dinosaurs are currently known from
the Ojo Alamo Formation, Naashoibito Member: Alamosaurus sanjuanesis,
Glyptodontopelta mimus, and Ojoceratops. Other supposed Naashoibito
dinosaurs are now considered to be from the Kirtland Fm., De-Na-Zin
Member. They consider the Naashoibito to be early Maastrichtian.

Many isolated skull elements are known.

Member of the Triceratops-Torosaurus clade.

-----------

Medusaceratops lokii Ryan, Russell et Hartman 2010 gen. et sp. nov.
A New Chasmosaurine Ceratopsid from the Judith River Formation, Montana \
Michael J. Ryan, Anthony P. Russell, and Scott Hartman

Named after the Greek Medsua and the Norse Loki.

Mixed up among the Albertaceratops material. Consequently, represents a
bonebed containing both centrosaurines and chasmosaurines.

Oldest known definite chasmosaurine. No phylogenetic analysis yet.

-------------

Tatankaceratops sacrisonorum Ott et Larson 2010 gen. et sp. nov.
A New, Small Ceratopsian Dinosaur from the Latest Cretaceous Hell Creek
Formation, Northwest South Dakota, United States: A Preliminary
Description \ Christopher J. Ott and Peter L. Larson

"Tatanka" = bison, in Lakota Sioux; trivial nomen after Stan and Steve
Sacrison.

Partial skull and skeleton; various referred elements. Skull length
estimated about 1 m, body about 3.5 m.

Long, recurved nasal horn, short procurved brown horns erupting from
posterior to the orbits.

They found it to be the basalmost chasmosaurine. However, no sampling of
long bones to look for EFS and demonstrate that this is an adult animal
(they argue that for other reasons). I would not be tremendously surprised
if this turned out to be a juvenile Triceratops, but we'll have to wait
and see.

------------

Unnamed Idaho Albian form
An Update on the Paleobiogeography of Ceratopsian Dinosaurs \ Brenda J.
Chinnery-Allgeier and James I. Kirkland

Mention of an undescribed partial skull and partial skeletons of an Albian
basal neoceratopsian from Idaho.

Brenda & Jim also agree with the previous referral of Craspedodon to
Neoceratopsia.

-------------

new Kaiparowits centrosaurine, two new Kaiparowits chasmosaurines, new
Pachycephalosaurus-like forms from Wapiti and Prince Creek Fms.
Unraveling a Radiation: A Review of the Diversity, Stratigraphic
Distribution, Biogeography, and Evolution of Horned Dinosaurs
(Ornithischia: Ceratopsidae) \ Scott D. Sampson and Mark A. Loewen

Yet to be described taxa, mentioned in passing. Some of these have been
featured at SVP talks and posters over the past five years or so.

Scott & Mark highlight that rather than being aberrant, Pachyrhinosaurus
canadensis was simply the first discovered member of a rich
radiation/lineage of lump-nosed centrosaurines.

Of great importance; a note that Cathy Forster and colleagues are at work
doing a big species-level total Ceratopsidae analysis including these
forms.
--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084