Re: Asilisaurus kongwe

Stephen V. Cole wrote:
> Are they claiming that birds didn't start with Archy, but go all the
> way back to the Triassic, and hence descended separately from
> dinosaurs?  Is this another Protoavis?

Absolutely not! They are not claiming anything of that sort.

The point of the discovery is that this is the oldest known relative of
Ornithodira (the clade of archosaurs closer to birds than to crocs.)

On the one hand, we could infer their presence in the early Middle
Triassic anyway, since we already have crocodilian-line archosaurs
(pseudosuchians or crurotarsans) of that age. Nevertheless, actually
having the fossils "in hand" is always nice.

--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc