Re: Asilisaurus kongwe, the Oldest Avian-line Archosaur and the Early Diversification of Ornithodira

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Tim Williams <tijawi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The authors are using the term "avian lineage" to differentiate the clade
> (Ornithodira, or more properly Avemetatarsalia)

Or pan-Aves.

> from the "crocodilian lineage" (Crurotarsi or Pseudosuchia).

Or pan-Crocodylia.

>ÂTry not too read too much into the "avian" part of the term.

Yes, although I think the "line" (or "lineage") part is the more
misleading part. A lineage is a series, a path -- this is a clade, a
branch.

I forget if it was mentioned, but the supplementary information is
free online:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v464/n7285/suppinfo/nature08718.html

Interesting discussion of diet in basal dinosauriforms.

--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California