Extinct vs Disappeared

With Stegosaurs it is often said that they went extinct midway through the
Cretaceous. This always bothers me slightly as I prefer the phrase 'disappeared
from the fossil record' over the word extinct do to the fact that disappeared
from the fossil record is a factual statement were as went extinct is
speculative. I for one tend to assume that Stegosaurs would have likely still
existed in small remote niches and on islands where advanced predation and food
niche taking new herbivores with better defenses couldn't get to them and thus
wouldn't cause their end.

Am I being nit-picky?

Andrew Simpson
Dinosaur Enthusiast