RE: Scientists conclude asteroid, not volcanoes, wiped out dinosaurs

John Hunt wrote:
> For scientists read "everyone but Keller" :) I still don't understand why
> there has to be a single cause, and why the Deccan traps must have had no
> effect?  Why it has to be one or the other?
>
> The Siberian traps and CAMP seem to have had an impact.

Actually, there are some good papers that show that a sizeable fraction of
the elevated carbon dioxide levels immediately around the boundary may be
due to Deccan Traps, but even more are from the impact. So I agree: the
Traps certainly had an effect, but Chicxulub is also a big player.

--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc