Re: Tyranno volume review

So... Greg Paul's post about Steve Brusatte's review of the T Rex
volume and his tyrannosaur article... This has brought up something
that's been bugging me lately... While I have a minute...

I found Brusatte's review to be just as troubling.  The language Greg
chose and the format/style of article in general made the topic more
accessible to the lay person. His article, published in a book that is
sitting on the shelf of my local Barnes and Noble, appears to have
been the only article therein that effectively served the function of
science outreach... It played the role of the ambassador, bridging the
very obvious and deep gap between the professional scientific
literature and the world of popular political and cultural discourse.
In my opinion, his article provided the general reader with a very
thorough overview of the knowledge to date and the on-going scientific
controversies that are waged in professional forums about the lives
and times of Tyrannosaurs (proper for such a book, as Greg noted)...
And as far as I am concerned, he did it in a way that illuminated the
methods and accuracy of science without undue oversimplification or a
hint of sensationalism/distortion.

What was so wrong with that?

Paul knows how to write a professional paper. Bakker does as well. But
I'd say that they also take into account the bigger picture. They seem
to appreciate the fact that a more general audience needs to be
reached for the sake of science.

And really now, has this truly hurt the science? What were the popular
views about dinosaurs before people like Paul and Bakker (Ostrom too)?
What new views did they help introduce to the general public at large
that didn't prove to be extremely fertile ground for future
investigation, right or wrong?

How many would care to argue that the general public, as well as
scientific community, had a better understanding of dinosaurs before
their influence?  Does anyone remember the general consensus on what
dinosaurs were like in the 50s and 60s?

Think back to Roy Chapman Andrews... His book on the exploration of
Asia put a huge amount of people onto the road of professional
paleontology. But were his books more accurate than Paul's and
Bakker's? Were they written using the strict rules required to get a
paper published in a legitimate modern scientific journal?

Hell no... His books were really just documents about the trip more
than anything else. His science was poor... his methods were poor
(atrocious even)... Indiana effin' Jones (Look up "The Ugly American"
in the dictionary and it just may have a picture of Roy standing there
blowing something up).

But his influence and the attention he got for paleontology???  HUGE.

Who reading this can honestly say that a popular book/article didn't
trigger their initial or further foster their interest in
paleontology?

I guess what I'm saying is, "He without a popular book of science on
his shelf, cast the first stone."

Kris