Re: Extinct vs Disappeared

the most appropriate ref for mammal extinctions up to and including the K-T in
the Hell Creek area is:

Journal of Mammalian Evolution, Vol. 12, Nos. 1/2, June 2005
Mammalian Faunal Dynamics During the Last 1.8 Million Years of the Cretaceous
in Garfield County, Montana
Gregory P. Wilson
Abstract: This study provides an analysis of biotic change in successive
mammalian communities during
the last 1.8 million years of the Cretaceous (67.3â65.58 Ma) from the Hell
Creek Formation
in Garfield County, Montana. Results show changes in relative abundances of
species, mean
individual body size, and to some extent taxonomic composition through the Hell
Creek Formation.
These results are interpreted as ânormalâ mammalian responses to fluctuating
temperatures during
the latest Cretaceous. By contrast, the extinction of 22â27 mammalian species
at or near the
Cretaceous-Tertiary (K-T) boundary cannot be explained by the coincident
cooling interval alone.
At the scale of temporal resolution available, these fossil data are
inconsistent with an extended
gradual pattern of extinction (linear-response) and are most consistent with
either a non-linear
response pattern for the K-T extinction, resulting from the accumulated stress
of multiple longand
short-term environmental perturbations (e.g., climate change, sea-level
regression, volcanism,
an extraterrestrial impact), or a single, short-term cause (an extraterrestrial
impact).

Denver Fowler
df9465@yahoo.co.uk
http://www.denverfowler.com