RE: Krakenology

The ancient Greeks and Romans (like other contemporary Mediterranean peoples)
had little concept of what a real whale actually looked like.  So the Greek
word 'ketos' was equivalent to 'sea monster' back then, and was only later
adapted to mean 'whale'.

Greek and Roman restorations of 'ketos' (such as the constellation of that
name) often show a sea creature that has very little resemblance to a modern
whale, with various parts often being very serpent-like or horse-like (or
both).  Even into the Christian era, illustrations of Jonah being swallowed by
a whale typically feature a long-bodied, serpentine sea creature.

The 'ketos' had a recurring role in Greek mythology whenever a beautiful
princess needed to be sacrificed to the sea in atonement for the misdeeds of
her parents.  Andromeda was one such princess; she is described as 'Ethiopian'
in Greek myth, even though she lived in Ioppa (Jaffa; in modern-day Israel).
Hesione, a Trojan princess, was another.

Alas, the poor sea monster (ketos) didn't come out of these episodes too well:
in both cases, the princess was rescued by the hero, who slew the sea monster.
Andromeda was rescued by Perseus, Hesione by Heracles.  Luckily, the sea was
well-stocked with sea monsters - though there is no mention of what constituted
their natural diet (aside from Mediterranean princesses).

Cheers

Ti