Re: Tyrannosaur book review

Posted for Steve  Brusatte.
______________

I'm a bit surprised about some of the  comments about my tyrannosaur volume
book review. I have no issue with Greg  Paul's comments and the only
disagreement between us is about writing style and  the types of papers that we
like seeing published in symposium volumes. I'm  puzzled, though, about the
perception that I am opposed to popular writing and  scientific outreach. I
have written three popular books and for many years have  volunteered to write
columns for amateur/avocational magazines such as Fossil  News and
Prehistoric Times. I see this as important, valuable, and a duty of
scientists, and
I applaud Greg Paul and others who have also spent time, which  could
otherwise be spent on research, writing for a popular audience. My gripe,
which
I expressed in my book review, is that I do not think this type of writing
is ideal for a symposium volume, published by a university press. The
Indiana  University Press tyrannosaur volume has been marketed as a collection
of
research papers, of the same tone and quality of those published in
academic  journals, highlighting the latest cutting-edge research on
tyrannosaurs.
There  are some fine pieces of work in the book, but interspersed are other
chapters  written in a very informal style that seem obviously out of place.
I am confused  as to how this comment has been interpreted as a knock
against scientists  writing for a lay audience, which is something I have
committed much time to for  many years.

Cheers,
Steve B.

--