Re: Sauropod-eating snakes

Mike Habib <habib@jhmi.edu> wrote:

> Fair question. There are several skeletomuscular correlates
> of large-prey constricting behavior in living boiids, at
> least, so if the myology can be put together with any
> confidence for the new specimens then the problem should be
> somewhat approachable. It might, however require more prep
> from the slab, or else some serious imaging.

Thanks.  Also, what I was thinking of is that the respiratory apparatus of
non-avian dinosaurs might have made them less vulnerable to constriction by
snakes.  Mammals have diaphragmatic ventilation and tidal breathing, which
might render them highly susceptible to suffocation-by-constriction.  Birds,
which have a sternocostal pump for lung ventilation, are a piece of cake (so to
speak), because all the snake has to do is stop the motion of the bird's
sternum in order to shut down respiration.

If non-avian dinosaurs had a combination of costal- and gastric-driven
aspiration, with the dorsally-positioned lungs fed by multiple air sacs, then
this entire arrangement might have been more of a challenge for a snake that
subdues large prey by constriction.  Not impossible - just more difficult
compared to mammal-style or avian-style or even crocodilian-style breathing.

(I'm not taking this idea of mine too seriously, and I'm quite happy to have it
go down in flames.)

Cheers

Tim