Re: Segregated vs age-mixed sauropod herds

There is a real quandry here, because on the one hand there are
theoretical arguments (actually watching out for the little ones; need to
move a lot) and observations (lack of tiny and giant sauropods found
together), but in opposition there are phylogenetic arguments (parental
care for at least several weeks is present in crocs and birds, and hence
in Archosauria ancestrally) and taphonomic arguments (sedimentary systems
are highly unlikely to simultaneous preserve large sauropod bones and tiny
baby ones in the same depositional settings; adult sauropods would make
tracks on substrates that baby sauropods - or you and I - could not; etc.)

And for a third hand, the Varricchio et al. argument exists that perhaps
parents stayed with offspring during the hatching season, but multi-clutch
family gatherings lacking the newborns and the adults wandered together
(suggested by Sinornithosaurus and Psittacosaurus finds).

Personally I think the claims of segregated sauropod herds have to be
tested for taphonomic size filtering.

The trackways in question do show subadults and adults together, but to my
knowledge no reports of 1-3 m long babies found with adults.

--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc