Re: Segregated vs age-mixed sauropod herds

--- On Sun, 3/14/10, John Bois <mjohn.bois@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was interested in a comment one of the news orgs. had re
> the snake
> in the sauropod nests, that the dinosaurs probably did not
> attend the
> nests allowing the snakes to help themselves. This
> speculation wasn't
> in the paper; and I wonder is there any support for this
> idea?
>
> I view it as very unlikely, not only from bracketing
> reasons, but
> because sauropods laying eggs was a very big signal to
> would-be
> predators. Predators must know where the eggs are; the nest
> must
> therefore be defended.

I don't follow. Sea turtle arribadas are also big signals to predators, yet
those nests go unattended (they pretty much have to, given the lifestyle of sea
turtles). Barring the recent advent of exploitative hominids, this strategy
seems to work just fine for them.

Jason