Re: Segregated vs age-mixed sauropod herds

On Mar 14, 2010, at 10:52 PM, John Bois wrote:

In any case, the trend in amniotes seems to be
toward the evolution of more not less parental investment in
offspring--or, should I say, investment in fewer high quality babies.
This makes nest-guarding more of an imperative.

Is there any test to demonstrate that this is the case? Casual observation suggests that the only places where this trend might be robust is in a few clades of mammals. Even then, it's just casual observation - rigorous testing might very find that these trends are not significant. In fact, I hypothesize that many lineages of amniotes, if tested rigorously, will show exactly the opposite trend.

Cheers,

--Mike H.

Michael Habib
Assistant Professor of Biology