Re: Segregated vs age-mixed sauropod herds

--- On Mon, 3/15/10, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> > > Egg Mountain and Egg Island
> -- the *Maiasaura* nesting sites --
> > > were islands in a lake, weren't they?
> >
> >  Well, that would seem to sink the "Sauropods
> can't swim" theories.
>
> *Maiasaura* is a hadrosaur. No sauropod remains are known
> from... the
> entire formation, I think.

True. I think the closest confirmed sauropod is NM, and am not even sure the
timing is exactly right.

But if hadrosaurs can be cited in re sauropod nesting, then perhaps they can
cited equally well in re sauropod swimming.

In any case, IF the interpretation of Auca Mahuevo as an annual rookery w/
nests spaced 2-3m is correct, that would seem to rule out much in the way of
huge mama titanosaurs hovering immediately around the nest itself. Unless there
is really a LOT of squished nests...

I note that Wikipedia states the Maiasura nests were more like 7m apart, and
they were smaller than titanosaurs.