Re: Segregated vs age-mixed sauropod herds

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 7:03 PM, don ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Finally, although nest attendance may be inferred by
> phylogenetic bracketing (all living archosaurs attend their nests), the large
> size of adult
> titanosaurians and the proximity between egg-clutches suggests little or no
> parental
> care, an inference consistent with the absence of evidence of trampling." --
> from Chiappe,

> Implied by such close proximity is 'turn-taking' in terms of nest-building,
> and nest locations >that are closely defined by the previous nesters. Which
> in turn implies social order, perhaps >hierarchy, and keen instinctual
> awareness and avoidance of the nests of others. Quite >remarkable, IMO, "nest
> attendance" or not...

Yes. And I think it would also imply very careful egg laying in broad
daylight! Compared to turtles blundering up the beach and burying eggs
deep in the sand, titanosaur nesting imperatives were incredibly
demanding.

Chiappe's comment of "little or no parental care" can include
nest-guarding, I presume.