Paleontology becoming more collaborative?

I can't be the only one to have noticed that 2000s era scientific papers have
significantly more authors than previous papers, at least in paleontology. Has
anyone done any research that would corroborate the idea that science in
general or paleontology in particular has increasingly become a team effort in
recent times? If so, could you point me in the direction of a PDF (or at least
a reference)?

Many thanks,

~Abyssal