RE: Another example of narrow chord pterosaur wing on the 'net

> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 06:31:44 -0500
> From: davidpeters@att.net
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu; habib@jhmi.edu
> Subject: Re: Another example of narrow chord pterosaur wing on the 'net

> Please don't attempt to raise doubts with words alone.

 but isn't that what you're doing?

> : ) Look again at your own elbow, Mike. That's air behind your elbow. In
> pterosaurs that's a trailing membrane.

 is "behind my elbow" the pointy part, or next to there?

> <<< That becomes a trend without exception.>>>
>
> <<< "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it
> means." --Inigo Montoya.>>>
>
> Why play word games, raising doubt without providing evidence to support your
> doubt? Mike, obviously you have evidence of thigh, ankle or toe attachment .
> Just circle it and send it! Why are you balking?

 you want him to circle a bone or a slab of rock with the fossil in it?  I
imagine the postage would not be fun.

> << Understood. The "ing" was a goof. Chord is the same overall to the elbow
> in my model. However, in the deep chord-hind leg attachment model, the chord
> should deepen considerably in the vicinity of the elbow.
> Yes, but not in a narrow chord, broad attachment model - specifically one in
> which the membrane turns sharply to the hindlimb.>>>
>
> Can you provide a specimen that demonstrates this preferred model of yours?
> Can you provide a hypothetical drawing?

 didn't you say you don't accept hypothetical drawings?

> <<> It isn't predicted by any model that expects pterosaurs to fly.>>>
>
> Not one aerodynamic paper has used the "wingtip to elbow membrane stretch,
> narrow chord, fuselage fillet model." However, such a wing model is used here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glider_(sailplane)

inbox.