Re: The Aussie ?tyrannosaur?

Why not using "tyrant" ?

The expressions "apex" or "top predator" have no social sense. Crown
clades are widely used in paleontology and taxonomy in general but I
don't think someone ever understood "crown" in a social meaning - even
if it reminds me of the Scala Naturae and other romerogramms,
instead...

2010/3/26 Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com>:
> Also tyrannid passeriforms! ;-)
> I would rather criticize the use of the term "tyrant" for a predator,
> as implying some kind of social organization.

... indeed ! And I notice the authors did not mentioned
*Proceratosaurus*, the sister-taxon of Guanglong (Proceratosauridae),
whereas its redescription was available since november 2009. Quite
surprising given Roger Benson's main interest is in British theropods:
he could not ignore it ! The presence of Tyrannosauroidea since the
Middle Jurassic is rather congruent with a cosmopolitan distribution
of its early members, but it means interestingly that they disappeared
afterwards. Casualties of competition with neoceratosaurs,
carcharodontosauroids, or other very large, carnivorous theropod ? Or
merely victims of the end-Jurassic extinction ?

--
Jocelyn Falconnet