Re: The Aussie ?tyrannosaur?

--- On Fri, 3/26/10, David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> From: David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
> Subject: Re: The Aussie ?tyrannosaur?
> To: "DML" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
> Date: Friday, March 26, 2010, 6:29 PM
> Barrett, T.H. Rich, & P. Vickers-Rich. 2010.
> >>
> > > Why "reptile"?
> >
> >  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >
> >  Because it was a reptile.
>
> If you count *Tyrannosaurus* as a reptile, you also have to
> count *Tyrannus* as a reptile. More specifically, as a
> tyrant reptile -- and most of Tyrannidae and Tyranni as a
> whole is southern (having originated in South America).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

While I would argue that _Tyrannosaurus_ fits under reptile, a whole lot better
than _Tyrannus_ (or any bird save maybe the archaeopterygiformes), that is
irrelevant to the point in question.

That point being: If you want to go around proclaiming that "birds are
dinosaurs" all the time, then you have no choice but to accept that dinosaurs
are also reptiles. Encouraging one while denying the other is simply invoking a
double standard.

> Why not simply "a southern tyrannosaur"? That would even
> have been shorter, and is familiar to a lot _more_ people
> than the term "tyrant reptile" which I don't think I've ever
> seen before.

I'm not sure. I also don't know why there is this current trend in dinosaur
paleontology to refer to turkeys and chickens as "living dinosaurs" instead of
calling them birds, avians, galliformes, or any number of other more familiar,
and more specific terms.

Also; I know that you know this, but I'm going to mention it anyway.
_Tyrannosaurus_ = "tyrant reptile." While it is more commonly translated as
"tyrant lizard" I have still seen plenty of translations refer to the more
correct (conceptually, if not grammatically) "tyrant reptile king."

Given that _Tyrannosaurus_ is the most popular dinosaur genus of all time, it
would appear that "tyrant reptile" should be the name that you have seen to
death at this point.

Jason