RE: The Aussie ?tyrannosaur?

David Marjanovic wrote:

< If you count *Tyrannosaurus* as a reptile, you also have to count
 *Tyrannus* as a reptile. More specifically, as a tyrant reptile -- and
 most of Tyrannidae and Tyranni as a whole is southern (having
originated in South America).>

  I think I understand what you're trying to get at, but I think you need to
see this in the strictest sense as applicable by some (most?) people, until you
can (somehow) change the taxonomy.  Birds are members of Reptilia, and in this
sense are derivatives called "reptiles," even though the semantic use of the
term "reptile" as well as its historical and etymological uses are reserved for
nonavian members of the Reptilia.  As long as Reptilia is used as a systematic
label, the term "reptile" should apply to all members of that group, be it a
rank or a clade (or both).

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

disinclination to do so." --- Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)

Backs)

inbox.