RE: The Aussie ?tyrannosaur?

I personally like to distinguish among the two general classes of
tyrannosauroids: tyrants are the big ones, fauna dominators and apex predators;
despots are the little guys, eco-terrors and wolf/cat analogues, second-best
often or better when they are the biggest in their niche. These correspond to
grades.

http://qilong.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/despotic-theropods/

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

disinclination to do so." --- Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)

Backs)

> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:48:54 -0700
> From: tijawi@yahoo.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> CC: tijawi@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: The Aussie ?tyrannosaur?
>
> Jocelyn Falconnet  wrote:
>

>> Ok, I see what you mean. Maybe we
>> should here think of "tyrant" in its
>> original sense: "the one who (which) dominate", "master",
>> "sovereign"
>

> You're right: the word 'tyrannos' originally had no negative connotations,
> and referred to an autocrat who rose to power by 'unconventional' means
> (i.e., usually outside the prevailing social or political hierarchy). These
> tyrants had their own private armies, and used popular support to seize
> control of cities away from ruling kings and aristocrats. 'Tyrannos' was not
> originally a Greek word, but a foreign word (Lydian?) that entered the Greek
> lexicon in Asia Minor.
>

> Cheers
>
> Tim

inbox.