Re: The Aussie ?tyrannosaur?

Interesting find. Frankly, given relatively deep divergences for a lot
of tyrannoraptorans/maniraptorans, I'm just waiting for teams to find
yet more southern versions of familiar northern clades, a la
unenlagiines vs Laurasian dromaeosaurs. Who knows? There could have
been stem ornithomimids, oviraptorosaurs, therizinosaurs, troodonts,
etc following totally distinct evolutionary trajectories in the
southern hemisphere during the Cretaceous. The same could be true for
marginocephalians, too. We already know that ornithopods and
ankylosaurians were doing their own thing down there . . .

---

About the "tyrant reptile" thing: does "sauros" truly mean reptile?
I'm curious about the etymology. Did the Greeks use it to describe
snakes and crocodiles and turtles as well as lizards? If so, what was
their word to distingush lizards alone?