RE: Kileskus and Proceratosauridae

Daid Marjanovic wrote (quoting me):

<<Lately, the term "clade" has been coopted to refer to any
structure of a tree that can be conceived without regard to
 a specific ancestor-descendant relationship.>>

<Where?>

  Unfortunately, the idea that a "clade" is the general product of a cladistic
analysis, or is any grouping to be found on a tree, is common at least in the
lay media.  I do not have a specific citation.  I do not aver that this is an
authentic use of the term, but that it has been used as such.  This is, again,
replicated in the lay media, who did not themselves make this out of whole
cloth.  As far back as at beginning of the use of cladistics in the discussion
on this very mailing list, at least, the term "clade" was being used as a form
of "uppity" expression equivalent to "group."  A "paraphyletic clade" and a
"paraphyletic group" and a "paraphyletic grade" were essentially the same
things, depending on who was using them.

  As a special note, even our own Mike Keesey has used the term, which I've dug
up here: http://dml.cmnh.org/2001Dec/msg00054.html

  I've also become somewhat confused, as I was aware that the recent shift for
absolute definitive understanding to the term "clade" is abruptly recent; I am
not familiar with a concrete definition for "clade" in many of at introductory
texts on the matter that I've read, although I've not read some of the more
recent ones -- I was more interested in the practice of the machinery than its
terminology, so I'm a little behind on that; it interested others more than it
did me, and I've since had a shift on my priorities than to read the principle
tomes on the subject.  I don't even have cladistic software anymore.

  I've asked David in private, although I guess it bears repeating here:

  What was the original useage of the term "clade?" I would follow that up with
who defined the term, and where it was defined? These things would be
interesting from an historical point.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the
experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to
do so." --- Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)

"Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different
language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to
kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at
things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)