RE: Glishades ericksoni, a new hadrosauroid from Montana

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Daniel Madzia
>
> Dear DMLers,
> Albert Prieto-Márquez described a new ornithopod, Glishades
> ericksoni, from Glacier County of Montana (Two Medicine
> Formation). G. ericksoni was published in today's Zootaxa.
>
> To be honest, I'm not particularly satisfied with
> Prieto-Márquez's hadrosauroid nomenclature. His Hadrosauridae
> (node-based name) consists of Hadrosaurus foulkii (and
> possibly also Tethyshadros insularis; see Fig. 2. and 3. of
> the paper) and Saurolophidae (labelled on the cladogram as it
> was a branch-based name but defined as "the last common
> ancestor of Saurolophus osborni, Lambeosaurus lambei, and all
> its descendants", which is a node-based definition).
> Saurolophidae contains Saurolophinae and Lambeosaurinae. I
> can understand that the position of H. foulkii may require
> some nomenclatural acts (it was found outside of
> Lambeosaurinae + "Hadrosaurinae", so a new potentially
> self-destructive node-based name [i.e., a name that would be
> used only if H. foulkii is found outside the "Saurolophus
> osborni + Lambeosaurus lambei" clade] can be
> introduced) but is it really necessary to introduce a new
> name with "-idae" within another "-idae" (there is Weishampel
> et al.'s [1993] Euhadrosauria; see also Horner et al's [2004]
> paper in the second edition of The Dinosauria)?

I, for one, would greatly appreciate the use of Euhadrosauria for that
clade, and in fact use it in my dinosaurs class.

I do support the use of Saurolophinae for "the clade formerly known as
Hadrosaurinae", and by similar token would go back to the main herd in the
use of Chasmosaurinae for the Chasmosaurus-Triceratops side of Ceratopsidae.
(Ceratops itself may well fall outside Chasmosaurus + Centrosaurus, now that
we know the brow horn morphology it possesses is shared by basal
Centrosaurinae, most Chasmosaurinae, and near outgroups to Ceratopsidae.)

> Other data should be published in "Prieto-Márquez, A. (In press).
> Global phylogeny of Hadrosauridae (Dinosauria: Ornithopoda)
> using parsimony and Bayesian methods. Zoological Journal of
> the Linnean Society."

Yes, Albert informs me this is the big new analysis with lots of details.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/