RE: Flight capablities of Archie & Confucius? Not so good...

David Marjanovic wrote:

<Didn't they publish the same thing (for Archie only, of course) in Nature in
1994? Somehow, nobody seems to have noticed it back then.>

  Enough to notice it, pass it over, and go one with their tact? An interesting
example, perhaps, of using "poor flying ability" as meaning "can fly, but not
as good as wrens." There's a level of relativity here that hasn't been
measured, and as long as the performance output of one is simply less than the
other, one can still hypothesize that the "poor" ability can enable the
behavior one has espoused already. Despite this, Paul's _Dinosaurs of the Air_
doesn't even cite Nudds and Dyke (1994).

  One thing that can be said of the paper is that it does better to supplement
the analysis with further data, so now they can both be cited and used to argue
further for lack of powered flying capability, if even passive flying
capability (i.e., "powered" gliding). One thing that cannot be said of it is
that it won't tell paleoartists to NOT draw Archie as a fully powered flier
(much less *Confuciusornis*. It is  too sexy of an idea to give up. They have
wings, therefore they must have flown; bird have wings, and birds can fly; not
only do wings = flight, and birds = wings, but wings = flight just like birds.

Nudds, R. L. & Dyke, G. J. 1994. Flight capabilities of *Archaeoptery*.
_Nature_ 370:514.
Nudds, R. L. & Dyke, G. J. 2010. Narrow primary feather rachises in
*Confuciusornis* and *Archaeopteryx* suggest poor flight ability. _Science_
328:887-889.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)