RE: Glishades ericksoni, a new hadrosauroid from Montana

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Tim Williams
>
> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <tholtz@umd.edu> wrote:
>
> > This is basically the situation that Prieto-Marquez
> > advocates: Hadrosauridae = Hadrosaurus + Saurolophus +
> Lambeosaurus;
> > Saurolophinae = Saurolophus > Lambeosaurus; and Lambeosaurinae =
> > Lambeosaurus > Saurolophus. In his phylogeny, Hadrosaurus is a
> > hadrosaurid but neither a saurolophine nor a lambeosaurine.
>

> This is fine.  Except that Prieto-Marquez also throws in
> clade Saurolophidae, inside Hadrosauridae.  I don't quite see
> the point of Saurolophidae - especially when Saurolophidae is
> a clade inside Hadrosauridae.  I agree with Daniel that this
> might cause a nomenclatural mess, for the exact reasons he gives.

Particularly when the perfectly good "Euhadrosauria" is already in the
literature for the same clade as Saurolophus + Lambeosaurus.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/