Re: Mammalian hairs in Early Cretaceous amber

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Tor Bertin wrote:
From: Richard W. Travsky <rtravsky@uwyo.edu>
Subject: Re: Mammalian hairs in Early Cretaceous amber
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Date: Friday, May 21, 2010, 8:32 AM

Two mammalian hairs have been found in association
with an empty puparium in a ¡­100-million- year-old amber
(Early Cretaceous) from

This is very interesting. Not that there's a plethora of
samples to look
at, I'm sorta wondering why good hair finds have not
previously been found.

Honestly, I'd bet that it's a matter of both sample size and overall accessibility. In most ecosystems, not only do insects tend to be more common on a population basis, they're also more likely to reach the portions of the a tree that may hold sap to preserve them in the first place (due to their morphology, ecological niche, etc.).

In other words, Mesozoic mammals may have been rarer than insects, but it's probable that at least partially arboreal mammals were even rarer.

I was leaning more towards something like preferred habitat... Dunno