Re: Nomina Dubia Part II: Rapator

I know I'm just jumping in here without much prior involvement in this debate, but...

Tim Williams wrote:

If this character (forked vs non-forked ischium) is not taxonomically significant
AND it's the ONLY character used to distinguish _Archaeopteryx_ from
_Shenzhouraptor_.... then yes, we would synonymize the two.<
What is your test for determining if a character is taxonomically significant?
Wouldn't its significance only be determined after putting the character into a
cladistic analysis? How do you make the determination yourself?
Rob