Re: Science feather strength debate

> Sorry, that was my fault - I didn't mean to imply that you
> suggested
> that Archie was island-hopping by wing.  It's just
> that there is an
> intuitive attraction to the idea that Archie used its
> primordial
> flight abilities to get from one island to the next.

It's a bit suspicious that the sample is as biased towards juvies/subadults as
it seems to be. Maybe it's coincidence. Maybe adults had better control of
their flight and knew what conditions to avoid. Maybe they were as heavy as to
be effectively flightless.

Is the material sufficient to compare the length of a particular remex to the
length of, say, the thoracic vertebrae (or a subset of the latter) between
Archies of different sizes? And if so, has it been done? The critter must have
molted; the feathers would have visible signs of wear otherwise (most specimens
seem to be a year old at least). Did the remiges lengthen proportionally to the
increase in body weight?

The longer we know this dino, the more mysterious it becomes. 100 years ago, it
seemed straightforward. These days, it is anything but.

Regards,

Eike