RE: Science feather strength debate

> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 13:26:50 +1100
> From: tijawi@gmail.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Science feather strength debate
>
> evelyn sobielski <koreke77@yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> > The longer we know this dino, the more mysterious it becomes. 100 years
> > ago, it seemed straightforward. These days, it is anything but.

> Yes, very true.  You have to wonder, if _Archaeopteryx_ had been
> discovered without the feathers preserved... would anyone think to
> suggest that it could *fly*?

 One would think that it would be possible to analyze _Archaeopteryx_ without
its feathers....but the analyzer's mind would always know that it was
_Archaeopteryx_, which would very likely ruin the test.

 So maybe our best hope would be The Onion or Discover magazine running an
April Fools article about a newly-discovered dinosaur..."whose scientific name
means 'naked archaeopteryx-y thing' has caused a featherstorm among
paleontologists arguing over whether it was capable of flight."

yeah, unlikely.

(and why does it keep switching to Rich Text?)