RE: Science feather strength debate

  One of the big issues with this debate is that some particular debaters are
basing their arguments on corollary subjects that are only tangential to the
taxa assumed to fly/not fly. Specifically, for example, it is argued that
*Archaeopteryx* is close to birds, apparently a descendant or a progenitor of
flying animals, and therefore should fly --- or that it had asymmetrical
feathers, therefore could fly, etc. These arguments, while adding up, do not
any of themselves say "I can fly," but this is the statement nonetheless. It is
useless to assess these subjects with nothing less than full-bore scrutiny so
as to actually answer the scientific query "Can *Archaeopteryx* fly?"[1]

[1] It should be restated (in my opinion) that I am tired of people instead
asking "How can *Archaeopteryx* fly?" as this assumes from the assessors
perspective an immediate "yes" to the first question, rather than determining
"flight" and various other assumptions. This is often related to the other
red-herring false corollary of "arboreal habits means flying habits," or "close
enough."

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff (site v2)