Re: Running, bipedal? Re: Baby dinosaur tracks from Morrison

--- On Wed, 11/3/10, Richard W. Travsky <rtravsky@uwyo.edu> wrote:

> From: Richard W. Travsky <rtravsky@uwyo.edu>

> "In the end, we might have a baby sauropod that is running
> like a Basilisk lizard, a modern lizard that is mostly a
> quadroped, but when spooked it runs on its hindlegs."
> Studies are underway to understand the biomechanics of
> Morrison's sauropods and what a running baby sauropod would
> look like.

Dubiousness of the bipedal baby sauropod claim aside, has there actually been
any life history study on wild basilisks that confirms the "mostly quadrupedal"
statement? That adults are very arboreal (and hence spend a lot of time on all
fours in the trees) is one thing, but _Basiliscus_ is known to take off on its
hind legs from a standing start (i.e. no quadrupedal phase as is seen in
_Crotaphytus_ and other facultatively bipedal lizards), which makes me think
they might not be the best example of what the authors are arguing.

< / tangent>

Jason