Re: How Pelicans learn to fish

Absolutely; in fact, there is at least one study that used a radar depth gauge
to determine gannet dive depth, and they regularly went several meters below
the surface.  I think the deepest dive was over 10 meters below the surface.
The estimated drag coefficient for a gannet/booby entering the water is roughly
the same as a plate of glass doing the same.

I have the paper stored away somewhere as PDF; I can pull it up if someone
needs details.

Cheers,

--Mike H.