Re: Science feather strength debate

2010/11/3 Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com>:

> Long stiff fingers can't be that bad for grasping prey.
> _Velociraptor_ and _Deinonychus_ have them too.  It probably means you have to
> grasp prey with both hands.

Out of ignorance: is there something in the morphology of these two
suggesting prey grasping capabilities? I mean, the wrist joint and
digits are not as movable as in carnivorous fissipedians which use
their forelimbs to manipulate prey. The hand is rather narrow, which
seems to be less suited to grasp prey (at least for the fact of each
hand being attached to the prey at fewer points)... Elsewhere, a
recent paper, I think in JVP, suggests Deynonychus bites quite hard,
and because its extended neck+head is almost as long as the extended
forelimbs, the latter may have been of little use, except in climbing
onto the sides of prey (which is but a hypothesis). I think that their
anatomy not denying that they may have grasped does not mean that
their anatomy suggests they grasped.