Re: Lasik surgery affect prep work?

I write about laser technology, and I've been following the development of
laser refractive surgery since the 1980s.

LASIK is a much better procedure than the early ones that actually blasted away
the surface of the cornea. However, no surgical procedure is 100% trouble-free.

One known problem is that healing is not 100% predictable, and because healing
plays an important role in determining the post-surgery characteristics of the
eye, a significant fraction of patients need either corrective lenses or a
second surgery to achieve full correction. Another known problem is increased
light scattering within the eye, which can affect night vision.

As others have mentioned, Lasik (or any other corrective surgery) will not
restore the eye's ability to adjust its focus between near and far objects,
which we lose with age. I've heard of people getting their eyes corrected
differently, so one focuses on closer objects than the other, but it's possible
that could cause problems with depth perception or eyestrain.

Evolution gave us only a single pair of eyes, so exercise caution with them.
One of the overlooked advantages of corrective lenses is that they can be
changed as your eyes change with age. On the other hand, I've also heard of
cases where refractive surgery was needed to fix problems corrective lenses
couldn't compensate for.

--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com or jhecht@nasw.org