Re: Science feather strength debate

On Mon, Nov 8th, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll only add that in several papers published in the 1970's, John
> Ostrom proposed that _Archaeopteryx_ could not fly.  He even stated
> that the position of the glenoid prevented the humerus from being
> raised above the shoulder.

I wonder whether Archie had enough flexibility in the elbow and wrist to
compensate for this?
Could it not have utilised a flight stroke more like that of modern bats, with
a lot of flexibility in the
various wing joints, rather than having the more stiffened wing structure seen
in modern birds?

Dann Pigdon